Subject: [Leica] Help me, my ball is stuck!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 08:56:42 -0700

Coefficients of expansion for steel is greater than for glass.  IOW, as you
heat up the assembly, the ball - glass interface gets TIGHTER.

First let the assembly come to room temperature....

Put the assembly in the freezer, with the jar upside down.

After a few minutes ( but more likely hours) the ball should be free
rolling.

Frank Filippone, Ex-Engineer ( but since it was an EE, I could be wrong...)
Red735i at earthlink.net

I heated up the inverted jar, resting on a cookie cutter, in a pan of water
slowly brought to boil.  No joy.

I'll top up the water and give it another half hour.  It's not looking good
for the jar...