Subject: [Leica] Leica M9P or M9.2 or M10
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 06:36:03 -0700

To me, the niche they picked is untested waters for them, in a field already
established with large brands, existing solutions at half ( third?) the
price that are getting more pixels, more low noise, more features at a 6
month rate....

Leica was never good at turning R+D quickly.  Their S2 competitors are.
Their customers expect it.  Terrible solution to be in.

Are they sold out?  Sure/maybe as we have no idea if the things were
available, if there would be demand to get them, LONG TERM.  You are still
seeing pent up demand.

Comparisons to the M5 are missing the point that the M5 used ALL the Leica
lenses that users had already.  It was an alternative body, not an
alternative system.  It was a 1 trick pony.  The M5 is generally considered
a marketing failure.

Will it outsell ( in dollars) an M5 or the R line?  Maybe at up to 100 times
the unit price it should.  It may have already.  Is the criteria for success
the relative sales compared to a failure?

It is not technical quality that will win or even make the product viable.
It is users spending on it that will.  What influences those customers is
technical quality, features, cost, service, rental ability ( pros only),
competitive product, existing product in their closets, and the ability to
say... I bought this REALLY expensive piece of jewelry.

Time will tell, and my crystal ball says the S2 won't be around long.

I will say it again... they should have bought someone else's body, thrown
on a Leica Mount and made glass for it.  Or just go make AF glass for the N
or C of the world.

They didn't, they won't.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net