Subject: [Leica] M8 Repair... Update
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:44:44 +1000

With the rationale being that there is no softening from an AA filter and
you have great glass and technique. OK, but I would qualify the comment by
adding that it depends on content, intent and output purpose whether some
sharpening may benefit the result. Its just another tool though.
I differentiate between some level of capture sharpening targetted at the
content and output sharpening based on the end purpose (a low resolution web
JPG in this case.

Yes I am an evangalist for both forms used tailored for what you want to
achieve. Don't forget that capture sharpening is interdependent with noise
reduction (two facets of same tool). Here George has a high frequency
subject but with most progressively softened (and elegantly) by the DoF.
A little subtle small radius halo suppressed high frequency capture
sharpening would make the very fine detail really 'pop' while masking would
ensure that the softest areas (effectively  very low frequency) are
unaffected.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/128264662
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/128264663
Note that this last is at 100% and was 800 ISO
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/124448398

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman