Subject: [Leica] What film did HCB use?
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 21:56:44 -0600

Marty Deveney wrote:
Of course, but I think you underestimate the disparity in his volume
of rolls shot pre- and post-WWII.  before WWII he shot a variety of
films from Agfa, Kodak, Ilford and other manufacturers.  Between the
end of WWII and 1955 he mostly shot Ilford HPS and XX.  After that he
mostly used HP4 and Tri-X.  You can see a lot of work and discuss with
relevant people at the Foundation Cartier-Bresson:
http://www.henricartierbresson.org/index_en.htm - I found the staff
very helpful when I visited.

The printer usually associated with his prints was Pierre Gassman, who died
in 2004, like HCB.  He was at Picto, as Marty noted.  Whether he actually
made the prints I have no idea, but his name comes up as the printer.
http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst?docId=5009737788

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE