Subject: [Leica] HCB negative
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:47:39 -0400

Larry the problem being that when you try making a matching print from that
35mm copy negative and put them side by side the difference is shocking. It
really looks like a copy of a copy.  A very poor imitation from working from
the original neg.  What you'd want to do with such a print I don't know.
But you'd' think contact printing would be the key taking that extra lens
out with its imperfections but this dozens not really do it for a few
reasons.
The first is you end up with a positive which needs to have the process then
done again. Your end result would be not a copy from a copy. But a copy from
a copy from a copy. You can too many service imperfections even from just
making the positive which print right into the image and you can then not
wipe off.  Any print you make really is a mess.
Trying to skip the positive to negative again steps by developing your first
neg using reversal techniques does not work. The tonality or the way it
gradates is way different from the original. You'd hardly call the print
you'd make from it anything resembling a "match".

So the whole concept in reality of a "copy negative"  in the darkroom realm
is a myth from a practical standpoint.
The fact that all kinds of "copy negative" gear of every description exists
in the catalog does  not make it so. And by the way I have  extensive
experience with such gear as a Honeywell Repronar. A dedicated camera
bellows with strobe stage and micro lens.
There are not effective methods of making a usable negative copy whose
results you could then continue making darkroom prints from if the original
was lost or damaged.  Not even sheet film as I said last night.

 Nowadays of course we're really not in the darkroom era any more.
A negative is something to be scanned. Its a bit of a tossup if a scan from
a print is better or worse to work from than a scan from a neg. in my
experience I'd much rather work from a scan from a neg. but I have some
images in which I've had to work from a scan from a print and the results
are not noticeably different from scans from a neg when you line up the
prints or put them in a stack. A scan from a neg really does have a lot more
information in it than a scan from a print so its less tricky to work with.

So in today's terms if a neg is lost you can still scan from a print.
Some say its preferable because you get your dogging and burning built in.
but from experience I'd disagree. Things fall off way too quickly tonality
wise.

As somebody said in a photo magazine article I read decades ago the best
copy slide or neg your going to get is done right on sight.  Just keep
holding the button down and working it. This of course gives you the
decisive other-moment. But it works with rocks and trees. And peeling paint.
It really works with a lot of subject matter people too.

Mark

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com