Subject: [Leica] New EVIL Leica
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:49:28 +1000

I'm really surprised to see this story. Leica Camera have hinted that there
is room for something new in their product range between X and M but they
have also said that they would not talk about upcoming new products any
longer until they were ready (after the dramatic R10 cancellation and the
consequent very understandable reactions).
Certainly they use 'leaking'  just prior release as part of marketing
currently in order to build interest and anticipation but this official
comment is more than 12 months before Photokina.
Extraordinary decision in my view. But then they presumably have calculated
that such a camera will not compete with their core, the M system. It does
suggest that they now feel able to cope with two concurrent in-house
(?) projects too (alongside the inevitable M10).   It will likely have the
forums buzzing for the next year. I'm not so sure that this is all to the
good. Still, I'm not on their board nor likely to be!

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] New EVIL Leica)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] New EVIL Leica)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] New EVIL Leica)