Subject: [Leica] New EVIL Leica
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:05:07 -0700

Au Contraire, I take this as a sign that the current Leica management does
get it - the M will be their high end stick in the ground cash cow. They
could do a lot of relatively minor tweaking to the M9 and continue to make
it a high end picture taking machine for many years to come (and unlike Rab,
I don't think anything higher than usable 3200 is really THAT important,
especially on a rangefinder). So the innovation needs to come at a lower
end, and the EVIL concept is the perfect platform for innovation. As with
the M, they don't need absolutely bleeding edge tech, just good enough
latest high tech to support their crown jewels - their lens system. By
pre-announcing it, it does not hurt the sales of the M9 or even the X1 (the
X1 has the X100 to worry about) and it set up some pent up demand when it is
released. The only risk is that if they cannot pull it off, but that should
be relatively low risk.