Subject: [Leica] Cannot upgrade M8 firmware
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:57:28 -0400

Peter,

Plenty of suggestions from others. I never had this kind of problems. To
eliminate H/W & S/W problems related to your Mac, take one of the
aforementioned unreadable SDHC cards to the Apple Store in Tokyo and plug it
into a Mac with a built-in card reader (MacBook Pro,...) and see if it is
readable and/or mountable. If it is fine, then it's either your card reader
or your Mac. Take you Mac in to the same Apple Store and ask them if they
can check it for you.

SDHC cards are delivered from the factory with a boring FAT32 file system on
them. There should be no reason that any standard care reader/PC/Mac cannot
read the card unless the FAT32 file system is damaged.

One thing you can try is to use Disk Utility to check the integrity of the
file system and underlying flash memory on problematical cards. Format the
card as FAT32 using the option to wipe the whole card (under Erase->Security
Option -> Zero Out Data). This will tell the Disk Utility to write 0's to
every single bit. If there are problems with the underlying flash memory,
this should find them. If any errors are detected, discard the card (not
worth the hassle compared to the cost of a new card). If the card is fine
according to Disk Utility, stick it back into your M8, reformat the card and
give them a try.

It could be something wrong with the card reader in the M8.

Regards,
Spencer