Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:41:00 -0400

There is plenty wrong with the 21 per ASPH its incredibly high degree of
distortion is the main one. The Zeiss is way way better corrected on all
accounts. Its not a better deal its a better lens. By far.
When Leica's 21 came out it was a well known dog. People continued to  use
their super Angulons on a camera without a meter. Or just used a  hand held
meter.
But the ASPH version changed that. The ASPH version was a way whole
different ball game.  Instead of being dismal; it was terrific. Probalby the
best 21 out there certainly better than Canon Nikon.

There is no reason to buy a pre ASPH 21. None. Other then someone's giving
you one for 10 bucks and you're making pictures for you blind grandmother.
It does not have creamier tones preferred by experts who don't like
supposedly ASPH's.
Its got nothing. You can use the meter with it.
Its the last 21 you'd ever want to use. You're better off with offerings
from Canon or Nikon or Minolta or Pentax.
Tamron. Spirotone.
Even an M8 deserves a better lens than this on the front of it.

Mark William Rabiner