Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 17:49:41 -0400

The 21/2.8 Elmarit-M is probably the least loved of the Leica M 21s, but
it's playing in some tough company. The 21/3.4 was such a classic and a hard
act to follow, but a new lens was needed to allow TTL metering with cameras
from the M5 and afterwards.

There's nothing desperately wrong with the 21/2.8 E-M -- many fine photos
have been made with it -- and if you can get one in great condition at a
bargain price (say, under $1K), it's a good choice.

I bet the Zeiss ZM 21/2.8 is also a great value.

For me, 21s are lenses for crowded and cramped interiors, so f2.8 as a
maximum aperture is very useful indeed.

These two pictures were taken with the 21/2.8 ASPH, the first under the
Arctic sea ice at low tide, the second inside an igloo:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/emanuellowi/Nunavik-Inuit/5_G.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/emanuellowi/Nunavik-Inuit/17_G.jpg.html

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH)