Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ten new film images from the Netherlands
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 18:09:45 -0400

That's that quaint expression "There's nothing like a good Tri-X" used  with
slight irony a wink wink and we wonder what gets communicated. An element of
truth in that statement or just whimsy?
Tri x film is assumed to be behind the most shots in our collective
unconscious the most shots from the cream years of photojournalism and
street shooting.
Not really in fine art work like this though.
Fine art photographers  have always had plenty of other options for this
kind of subject matter.. Tab grained and slower, filtered and used on a
tripod at a 30th of a second at f11.
The idea that you can shoot tri x and your shots will hark back to our
mystic sensibilities of when a photograph was really a photograph does not
hold water.
Tri x was drastically re formulated very few years ago when they built a
whole new factory for it . They had not anticipated digital when they did
that of course.  And was reformulated decade or so before that which does
not seem that long ago to me I was also very much redone.  In the early 70's
people were already saying that tri x was not tri x any more. But that's
just the first I heard it. Though it only came out  16 years before that
Monday, Nov 1, 1954.
It like many and most films it changes and evolves. And does not look like
itself after a decade or so. They "improve it". And they make it easier to
manufacture. So this little "There's nothing like a good Tri-X"  gem really
gets is a little mouthful. The problem is people don't know to what level we
are kidding and I'm sure plenty just take it at face value.
As far  as shooting people goes it was always oddly red hypersensitive.  Did
they fix that in the new factory?
So it looks like you are shooting with pink filter. Not so great.
Of course if you use a light green or yellow green filter that takes care of
that. I think the new factory has already been closed down.

I have fond myriad preferable options to shooting TRI X an most my work in
the previous millennium. The last I used it was in May 1999 I drove the
Lewis and Clark route with my Leicas and a brick of tri x. I sure wish to
hell I'd have shot something else like Neopan 400 or 1600 or Delta. Which
when I switched to that with the new for me Xtol 1:3 my 11x14 fiber darkroom
prints seemed to double in quality.

Later on I found Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3 looks better than your default
baseline tri x in d76 1:1 look by a long shot. At 4x the speed.
And no they never made Neopan 1600 in 120 or 220 or sheet.
And of course there is the myth we just had here a few weeks ago that HCB' s
body of work is tri x based.
400 speed film for me then became a "high rez" choice.

Nowadays with the control we get in scanning I wonder  how much is left over
in a film/ developer/ dilution choice. How much "look" is left over from
that choice that we see on your monitors 1000 pixels across? As I think in
scanning and post balancing we can make anything balance out to look like
anything with out even the use of that third party software where we can
just  hit that "tri ix in Rodinal 1:100" button and it would not matter that
it was shot in Neopan Across 100 in Xtol 1:3.

I think the look these shots from the Netherlands have are not so much based
on their film and soup choice. Unless we were looking at darkroom prints in
person.
And I'm sure they'd look just fine.

I don't think once we scan them and turn them into a screen sized jpeg we
know what we are  looking at in that sense. Which is one reason I have
trouble going out  and buying a brick of film.

Mark William Rabiner