Subject: [Leica] Luis and Steve
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:50:32 +0200

Hi Jayanand,

I second your high opinion of Lluis's book. I will just address the economic
issue you raise. The protests were not a political movement in the
traditional strength which was at the time seen as a strength but it is now
clear that without a coherent political programme, providing answers to
questions such as the ones you raise, the movement is in the process of
fizzling out. As Lluis himself noted, towards the end of the sit-ins there
were increasingly just various bums and hoodlums rather than the idealists
of the early days. If you asked, you would get many different answers.

Also, I must say that the fundamental problem in Spain is not the debt (much
lower as % of GDP than Italy or Greece) but anemic growth. So what is needed
more than anything else are reforms of the economy to make it more
competitive, allowing the country to grow its way out of trouble. In the
case of Spain it is possible. Difficult, but possible. In the case of Greece
it is not.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman