Subject: [Leica] Steinbeck and Lange
From: csaganich at gmail.com (Chris Saganich)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:00:53 -0400

Yes, those who are middle class are experiencing difficulty keeping heads
above water and are also feeling like they are one paycheck away from
homelessness.  Eventually, and many indicators suggest this now, that the
middle class has become a part of an expansion of the exploitable class,
which includes the poor and immigrants.  So, the current policies are
helping pave the way for a completely exploitable middle class, which viewed
from that context seem rather obvious.  One of the first indicators is the
increasing number of stratification within what we consider the middle
class.  The current strata include working poor, lower middle class, middle
class, upper-middle class; expect to see the emergence of additional
categories like the educated poor.  The neoliberal restructuring that began
in the 80's has doubled the share of income earned by the top 1%, from a low
of about 7% in the early 70's to 20% today.  Similar but less dramatic
increases are apparent for the top 10%.  This amounts to a radical
redistribution of wealth in the past 20 years, which is currently on par
with with pre 1929 levels.  So, currently wealth distribution is about where
it was before the '29 crash suggesting that most of the "new deal"
redistribution mechanisms have been undermined..except medicare and
medicaid.  Those are the last ones standing.  The poor and middle class have
been asleep at the wheel (or watching too much TV) while "job creators" have
systematically reinvented the entire wealth distribution process to enrich
themselves in the name of god, capitalism, and freedom...which are all the
same thing apparently.