Subject: [Leica] Leica M9 workshop street shots
From: gcr910 at gmail.com (Greg Rubenstein)
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 19:09:40 -0500

Hi, group:

Attended a Leica Akademie M9 workshop Saturday in Chicago. Happy to
answer questions about specifics of the event if you want to contact
me off-list. Good session that I'd recommend to M9 shooters or people
thinking about buying one -- especially if you're like me and find
customizing profiles and fiddling with menu settings intimidating.

We spent one hour of the session being "street photographers." Hordes
of people downtown for a variety of nearby events. Thought at first
the traffic wardens dancing amid pedestrians and vehicles mixing and
mingling with little regard to any signals and guidance might
photograph well. Then I got into the crowds crossing against the
cityscape . . .

Not sure what to make of the pictures posted; four, each in black and
white and color. This style of shooting is outside my norm, which is
good.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gcr910/Leica+Workshop/

All were shot with an M9 with a 75 mm Summilux (1.4) -- yes, a real
street shooter's lens -- wide open with a 4X neutral density filter.
Am pleased with the effect, but remain undecided about the photos.

The photos face north, south and west at and in the intersection of
Adams and Michigan avenues (between the south end of Millennium Park
and north end of The Art Institute) between 2 - 3 p.m. Southwest sun.
Why no east-facing shots? Was displeased with them compositionally and
technically (for which I accept blame; not the fault of the M9, the
lens or newly learned M9 tricks).

Comments and critiques, especially from experienced street shooters,
appreciated.

Thank you.

Greg Rubenstein