Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Hiroshima and Nagasaki remembered: Lanterns for Peace
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 14:59:42 -0700

George Lottermoser offered on his blog:

Subject: Hiroshima and Nagasaki remembered: Lanterns for
Peace

>>>Before the canoeists could complete setting all the lanterns afloat two
>>>party barges felt compelled to dock in the event area. The partying,
>>>noisy drunks appeared oblivious to the solemn event taking place before
>>>them. Loud verbal nonsense drowned out the beautiful, subtle sound of the
>>>Kalimba (Thumb Piano); and turned the space and time into an apt metaphor
>>>for the current state of global communication about the social issues of
>>>war and peace; violence; the economic collapse; and income disparity; et
>>>al. As it occurred I could not bring myself to photograph the offensive
>>>and ugly side; I kept it out of my view finder; though I now feel I
>>>should have attempted to document their insensitivity. Oh well.<<<<<<<<

Hi George,
I'm afraid history has passed many of our younger generations by when some
folks attempt to show compassion for the past and it's horrors of war.

May we Earthlings never again see the destructive force of a nuclear weapon
fired in anger! Nor a similar situation as Chernobyl and the aftermath of
that power plant disaster, particularly on children. Having spent time in
the Ukraine & Russia photographing the children, survivors from the power
plant I can only offer never again!

The weapon doesn't just destroy a block or two and a great number of
buildings! They will affect, given the size of some bombs developed in the
arsenals of countries today, basically every human on the planet in some
fashion or another.

All one has to do is photograph a child, unknowingly as he took his last
breathe and died as the camera went click! The lady doctor looked up at me,
she didn't say a word. It was the look in her eyes and on her face as she
held the little guy's hand for the last time. I lost complete control,
stepped into the hall and cried like I don't think I ever did before.

Any fool, regardless of country, worldly position in any country or
race/religion who advocates the use of  nuclear weapons. Nor cares about
those of the past, need be hung by their thumbs and severely thrashed!! The
problem with that is.......... "Unfortunately only serves the tides of
violence scourging the Earth from corner to corner. A shame!"

Dr. ted

PS: The photograph I referred to, actually all my photographs of those
children were all shot with Leica M6's and R7's loaded with Tri-x rated at
ASA 800! Souped in D76 1:1

Truly....... Never ever again!

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] IMGs: Hiroshima and Nagasaki remembered: Lanterns for Peace)
Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] IMGs: Hiroshima and Nagasaki remembered: Lanterns for Peace)