Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:33:00 -0400

Were are not talking about a camera which seems to heavy and big and pricey
compared to another similar one which is cheaper and more compact and shoots
video.
Its the difference between a 1.5 amateur camera and a a 1x pro camera.
Apples and oranges
Cherries and watermelons.
You don't find commercial photographers or photojournalists shooting cropped
any more. Or serious amateurs. I think people on the LUG who are used to
using Leica gear are more discerning about their photo gear than the run of
the mill camera jockey.
Serious photographers don't know a D4000 from a D5000 or whatever or the
Canon equivalent any more becuae these cropped cameras are marketed to
armatures, lower level ones and  we long stopped paying attention to those
long ago. And if I want video I'll get a video camera.
Its like who makes the best point and shoot now I don't know and I don't
care. Nor do I care which phone has the best camera in it.

A big reason the no crop is so important is you have a important is the way
higher choice of what iso you can use.
You can shoot those mushrooms in the shadows hand held Stopped to f 8 or
whatever so you can get them all sharp. And have a nice high shutter speed
so they will be for sure sharp. Becuae iso 64,000 is no problem its cruising
speed. Iso 32,000 is a walk in the park. And iso 16,00o is smooth as silk
high rez.
Although the cropped camera results are of course getting better they are at
least a league and a half or more away from the full frame. But I don't know
I'm not paying any attention to the.
This is not my  quirky opinion this is what everybody thinks.
And I can say my direct experience backs it up.
My cropped bodies I didn't even know where they are and don't care if I
never see them again.
The D700 is the best camera I've ever owned bar none by ten times over if
results is the framework for that opinion. And what other validation would
there be? Would a brassy M3 be more fun to fondle yes but I love fondling
cameras about 100th as much as I love making photographs.
Any photographer with remotely serious intentions who is not shooting full
frame is really in an out of the loupe quandary.

Yes a full frame camera is too much money and is too heavy but getting one
is the enabling experience of a lifetime. You'll never look back.
--
Mark R.