Subject: [Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-)
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:16:49 -0500

On Aug 12, 2011, at 11:59 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:

> Also I'm not shooting film so I'm not worrying about loosing contrast.
> With digital I slide the histogram slider at the bottom to the right and
> I've got my black for sure.

Just different strokes for different folks Mark.

Even though soft ware can now do so very much
I like seeing maximum micro contrast in the mid tones
right out of the shoot.

My M8 with either 28, 35,
even with there tiny shades mounted,
and the 50 or 75, with sliding shades,
all slip in and out of the bag effortlessly.

I take your point when mounting the monster shades
on the monster canon zooms; though even then, I use the shades;
because it's become second nature and un-regrettable.

About a month ago I did some macro work with the 135 S-Planar T*
on the DMR - didn't bother with a shade - didn't like what I was seeing.
Put a matt box on and - snap - that's what I expected to see.
The difference on the big screen between the with and without
was more than apparent.
Could I have "fixed" the flat in PS or LR? Sure.
Just a lot easier to get the max quality out of the lens,
by using a shade, at the time the shutter fires.

YMMV

George

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-))
Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-))