Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000 long reply IMGs now FUD
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:57:35 -0700

> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 12:19:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
> From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000 long reply IMGs
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> Howard Cummer wrote:
>
>> FUD??
>
> Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.  A single photo of dusty conditions isn't
> the same as a statistically-significant sample comparing failure
> rates of the equipment in question, but it's more effective at
> convincing people.  FUD is a favorite tool of many political
> strategists.
>
> Doug Herr

Hi Doug,
My acronym knowledge has increased today, thank you. I don't agree
with the assumption underlying your comment that I was trying to
"frighten" Alastair with a "Karl Rove" moment.
:-)
Alastair is a LUG friend whom I have met and I admire his photography
with the DMR, as I admire your work, but I didn't see the DMR
surviving the dusty conditions I experienced in India and expect in
Africa. I could be wrong but if I was not where would that leave
Alastair?
My picture described the environment. I understand about statistically
significant samples (economist here with multiple degrees) but don't
see how Alastair would be helped if his DMR (a sample of one) was
ruined along the way and he had no back up to complete the safari. I'm
pleased that he made his decisions and look forward to seeing the
results which will be, I'm sure, impressive, (No pressure Alastair!!).
Howard