Subject: [Leica] Another photo-culture-police report
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:41:32 -0700

Some huge percentage of all overseas freight comes through the ports of Long
Beach and Los Angeles ( differentiated only by an artificial dividing
line... it is a contiguous area).  It is the subject of a lot of Homeland
Security "worry".

If you read the article, it is clear that the police policy in question is
vague and basically unenforceable, as it does not have clear guidelines.

However, in this time, it is also clear that our personal freedoms have been
compromised under the guise of "protection".

I shoot Large Format cameras in the same areas, and get varying degrees of
similar behavior from the police.  Usually I get told to move on.  ( Why, if
I were a bad guy, would I photograph with a 4x5 camera and tripod setup if I
wanted to appear incognito?  Wouldn't I use a D-SLR?)

There are a lot of cases similar to this one.  With the same end result:
NADA.

I guess it comes down to the thought that to be safe, something has to give,
and it is our personal freedoms that have already given.

Nathan:  Long Beach is fast becoming a home to Craft Breweries.... THE
reason to visit.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

My first instinct was "yet another reason to stay away from LA, a place
where I cannot think of any reason to visit" (yes, I have been there). But
after reading the entire article, I am beginning to think, what is the big
deal? It sounds very much like the encounter was polite, the cop asked to
see the photographer's drivers license, ran a quick check and then left the
guy alone to continue taking pictures. I sit back with a feeling that a
non-incident is being blown up out of proportions here.

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Another photo-culture-police report)