Subject: [Leica] Film
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 21:32:55 -0400

I find the statement that an analog photograph as a "certain dept" that a
digital photograph does not have to be particularly grating and insipid and
you hear it said spoken like a mantra mainly from people whose work your
never going to see. You're going see them with their beloved film camera.
You're not going to see them with their portfolio case with their prints in
it like I'd see in the old says with my camera friends we all had darkrooms
in our bathrooms or basements.
To have made that statement I'd have loved to have seen Colin H. the twin
lens Mamiya guy "hanging out"  with his prints pulling his portfolio or
stack of prints out and sharing them with his friends so I can see what his
"real photograph"  looks like. We saw one of his images but in context don't
even know if It was a 5x7 or an 11x14. I've had bad luck with rental
darkrooms for black and white. They are very good for analog color. Your not
going to get your prints fixed twice most likely. Your enlargers are not
going to be aligned. Analog photography requires a huge commitment. Its not
a rental darkroom kind of a think you'd make RC prints there most likely. An
RC print is not going to be hung in a gallery and collectors have no use for
them. They pale next to a well done pigment rag inkjet print.

By the way I had my camera yesterday set at not A or P but M.
The difference in shooting from film was I don't know what.
Almost any modern DSLR has this "m" setting.
Its very hands on. Just like shooting a Pentax Spotmatic or a Leica M3.

--
Mark R.