Subject: [Leica] Question on relative VF brightness.... Canon/Nikon/R8/SL to Visoflex
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:37:56 +0200

Le 25 ao?t 11 ? 09:08, Jayanand Govindaraj a ?crit :

> Well, the Nikon F, F2 & F3 viewfinders hold their own with anything
> I have
> used, and you could change between 6 viewfinders and 20 odd focusing
> screens
> as well - why does everyone always compare viewfinders on MF with
> those on
> AF bodies?

I guess when one buys a DSLR one expects to keep using legacy lenses -
most people just stop doing so after a while, and buy modern AF lenses
- I have

> Their viewfinders are designed for different purposes, not for
> the 0.00001% of eligible photographers who would like to use mainly MF
> lenses on an AF body. If you would like to use MF lenses only, buy a
> body
> designed for that (R8/9 + DMR) and be happy. There is a primary
> reason that
> nobody caters to that market any more - there is no market.
>
> Philippe, while I agree with you about the Leica R/Nikon 50mm
> lenses, by the
> time you stop down to f8 you would be hard put to tell the difference.

Agreed and the cron degrades after that point

> BTW, my cheapo plastic Nikon D7000 has a 100% viewfinder...

I hope the D800 will cover the full frame, it is raging to have to
guestimate what you're actually putting in the box as you have to
recrop when back home ... time consuming and boring

ph