Subject: [Leica] IMG: Irene followup
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:54:03 +0200

No argument here. I lived in Florida for 6 years, 3 of which on the Gulf
coast, so yes, I have seen hurricanes too.

As with most things, it is the poor who tend to suffer most, as mobile homes
do not stand up to the wind and rain and of course they are not insured :-(

Having said that...when the first hurricane during my time in Tampa hit, my
wife was visiting her parents in Puerto Rico. Knowing me, she called me to
make me promise that I would NOT attempt to drive to the beach to have a
look and take pictures. After which I did exactly that; however, the cops
had blocked the road to save idiots like me from ourselves.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 7 Sep, 2011, at 13:38 , Sonny Carter wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo at
> frozenlight.eu>wrote:
>
>> Glad to hear it was not nearly as a bad as the pre-hurricane hype had led
>> to expect. I guess it is better to exaggerate the danger than to underplay
>> it.
>>

> Nathan, I think the evacuations and preparations diminished  the problems.
> It was less a storm than they expected, but it was still a storm, and
> people
> can do stupid things.
>
> Having been a news photographer during several lesser and greater storms on
> the Gulf coast, I assure you that is true.
>

> -
> Regards,
>
> Sonny
> http://sonc.com/look/