Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:01:13 -0500

In continuing to get a better understanding of proper exposure as it applies
to the E-1 and its CCD sensor, I finally got a brief period of sunshine, and
took a few more images.  I should mention that articles I have read report
that ETTR will be helpful IF the range of brightness of the subjects does
not exceed the range that the sensor can capture.

An extreme range of brightness showed me that I could not find a setting
capable of capturing the full image without blowing the highlights.  This
example was about as good as I could do, and it used EV +1.3.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P9081077edit.jpg.html

Using this same setting worked very well in capturing an image containing a
lot of shadow area.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P9081079edit.jpg.html

There is a lot more for me to learn!

Jim Nichols