Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:48:19 -0500

On Sep 9, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Frank Filippone <red735i at earthlink.net> wrote:

> George.. would this allow the same degree of measurement, but in the field
> quickness?

In my experience Frank quickness comes when we know what our tools can do.
In the context of this discussion that means knowing:
1) the actual dynamic range of our sensor (zone type testing)
2) what the histograms looks like under various conditions (trial and error)
- say a white flower on black velvet in sunlight where 75% of the frame is
black compared to the same scene where 75% of the frame is white flower.
3) highlight recovery limits of our software
4) the functional relationships of the above three

The more we know about number 4 the quicker we can achieve the qualities we
wish to achieve under any conditions.

YMMV

George

Message from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR)