Subject: [Leica] Cape Cod Seminar
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy )
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 03:00:39 -0400

I'm emotional. I'm sad to learn Carl was forced to cancel our Cape Cod
Seminar for 2011. I'm also moved to share a few thoughts as one who has
attended these seminars for some 40 years. It's an attachment thing. I began
with Walter Heun, then continued with Ted Grant. I learned just about all I
know about photography from these great mentors. I kept returning because of
their love of photography and desire to share it with others. I also met
great people from all walks of life. I appreciated the opportunity to try
out new equipment and have mine tested by Leica. Carl made us feel welcomed;
like members of a special family. I enjoyed the venues of Cape Cod and Maine
in October under fall foliage. During those years I had a Manhattan private
practice and served on the staff of the VA Medical Center at Brooklyn.
Photography has been my hobby and Sans Suci. I was a boy born and raised on
a New England Dairy Farm where I had a dark room at an early age and used
the Kodak Tourist Camera and later saved enough money for a Kodak Medalist.
Later I bought into the R-series and M5 with a 50 mm f1.2 Noctilux lens. I
mostly shoot scenes in New England, S.E. Asia, having married an Indonesian
physician, and now Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. I attend the New
England Camera Club Council gathering at Amherst every July and shoot
models. I follow the LUG closely when home. I'm an optimist and look forward
to our  Cape Cod Seminar next year; although the continued economic gloom
remains grim. I don't deny age-related issues or the cost of digital Leica
equipment exceeding anything I encountered in my early thirties. In any
case, may the memory of Cape Cod Seminars soar, may the force be with
Emeritus Mentor Ted Grant and all of us who have shared the experience of
Cape Cod Leica Seminars with Ted at the helm. Dr. Leon Pomeroy, Northern
Virginia, USA