Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chemo....
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:19:30 -0400

If I have crossed a line, said something in appropriate, or
profoundly offended anyone I apologize. I have been a member of the
LUG for a long time. I have posted a picture each week for several
years now. My weekly picture is almost always a pretty, decorative
flower or some other very non-controversial image. Often my pictures
do not rise above the level of decorative. I understand that. I don't
usually do disturbing or upsetting. That's a deliberate policy on my
part. My father was a severe alcoholic and I was a very heavily
abused child. I do not wish to spend my time or anyone else's time
reminding them how tough and painful life can be. I know the answer
to that question. So do you. Usually I prefer to celebrate the beauty
I see around me. I also understand that doing this, like good news on
the TV or in the paper doesn't sell all that well.

Enter cancer. I think that I would have done better to send an
explanation with this week's picture. I did mean to give people a
nudge. I didn't want to slam people over the head. My wife has very
serious, very aggressive breast cancer. It has been a tough year for
her. Last winter she had Pancreatic cancer for which she had to have
an operation called a Whipple procedure. Her kidney's failed twice,
and she is fortunate to have survived. Six months later she has had
to have a double mastectomy and chemo therapy. She has experienced a
number of complications and she is very sick. What you saw in the
picture was the styrofoam head she uses to store her wig. The light
in our bedroom was very unusual this morning. I saw the head in a new
light. It was very upsetting.

The many medical professionals on this list know exactly what happens
to people with cancer. Far too many of us also know because they have
had to confront this black daemon in their own lives. I was not one
of these people. I do not think those of us who have not had to deal
with cancer face to face really know anything about what happens and
what it is like. I certainly didn't. I had no idea how bad
chemotherapy was and how sick my wife would be. I took the picture
because I wanted to point to how chemotherapy has effected my wife
and how it effects people who have to subject themselves to it. There
are two things I want to do. One was to make a statement about how
the Great Daemon effects people. I have done that. If I had the
volume turned up too loud, I apologize.

The second thing which I would like to do is to find a way to use my
pictures to do something to help women with breast cancer. I would
like to ask the groups opinion how to do that. I was thinking about
picking the best of my flower pictures, putting a blurb book together
and donating any income from that to a cause which would use the
money to help these unfortunate women. But, I have no idea if such a
book would sell, if anyone would buy it, and weather it would be
worth doing. I was thinking of featuring pink flowers and calling it
something like pick for the cure. Corny, and a cliche, i know. It
would require do ing shameless self promotion to promote it. I am
notoriously bad at SSP. Very, very bad at it. I would also have to
try to talk one of our famous members such as Ted and Tina to help
with an introduction. I have never met either of them! I also thought
about tracking down a group of women who have survived cancer and
people who treat cancer and inviting them to write a commentary to go
with each image which might be of help to breast cancer victims and
their care givers.

So, what my picture today today was about is this. If you have a
camera, and some, but not much talent, how to you use that to do
something to make a statement about cancer and to use to help the
women who suffer from this horrid disease.

Any ideas? This was my first attempt. If I got it wrong I appologize.

Barney