Subject: [Leica] IMG: Chemo....
From: rcmphoto at yahoo.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 07:47:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Barney Quinn <bjq1 at mac.com> wrote:

> If I have crossed a line, said something in appropriate, or profoundly
> offended anyone I apologize.

If you've profoundly offended someone with this, that's their issue, not
yours.? If you've caught our attention, that's a good thing.? (I'd go so far
as to say That's The Entire Freakin' POINT to photographs, but I'm a PJ...
we're weird.)

> There are two things I want to do. One was to make
> a statement about how the Great Daemon effects people. I have done that.

I'd say so, yes.? To both.? That was actually an EXTREMELY effective shot,
and anyone who's been close to chemo knows the symbolism instantly.

> If I had the volume turned up too loud, I apologize.

Startle reflexes are good.

> I would also have to
> try to talk one of our famous members such as Ted and Tina to help with an
> introduction.

That probably wouldn't be a terrifically difficult process.

> I have never met either of them!

They will both be surprised to hear that, I think.

> I also thought about tracking
> down a group of women who have survived cancer and people who treat cancer
> and inviting them to write a commentary to go with each image which might
> be
> of help to breast cancer victims and their care givers.

Might I suggest that you perhaps consider tracking down those survivors and
doing a book of portraits of their lives after - just ordinary women going
about their ordinary lives?? There's SO much focus on the disease and
treatment processes that Mom (now 12 years post) and I both wondered if the
various support groups and cancer societies really understood that some,
maybe many, patients don't really want to be part of a grand crusade, they
just want to get back to their lives.? I'm thinking a book showing that it's
possible to do just that might be a great help for those women.? (Also
drawing on years of work with grief groups - reassurance that personal
catastrophes (cancer, the death of a child or a family member, so forth) are
survivable and there can be good times afterward is tremendously powerful
stuff....)

Yeah, I know, I just turned a little flower book into a Big Project, but
don't sell yourself short.? Honesty and understanding, working with real
people, are far more important things for most photojournalistic work than
"creativity" or the ability to make surreal insanity look plausible.

Message from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] IMG: Chemo....)
Message from bjq1 at mac.com (Barney Quinn) ([Leica] IMG: Chemo....)