Subject: [Leica] OT: Which car to buy...
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 08:49:22 -0700

I can speak very highly of the Honda CR-V and the Honda Element. We had a
very serious single-car accident in which our Element protected us from a 70
MPH, offset impact and roll-over crash. The people who stopped thought there
would be no survivors. My wife had a cut scalp and a bang on her shin and I
had a broken shoulder but we survived while the Element was a wreck. If you
consider one be sure to get the side-curtain air-bags which the vehicle
needs. They did the job for us.

The CR-V is the same mechanics underneath but with a quieter and more
car-like body.

We did serious investigation of the RAV 4 and our choice was a near thing.
We had a requirement that we be able to carry two bikes INSIDE the vehicle.
It was possible but ugly in the RAV 4. We can remove the rear seats of the
CR-V quite easily and then it holds two road or mountain bikes and two weeks
of gear, cameras, and dog (small). We have had our CR-V for four years with
only minor problems, all covered by warranty in the first few years. We get
about 26 MPG on the highway and 20 in town. It's the 2WD version. I don't go
up in the snow that often and when I do I will rent a 4WD for the event.

My only wish about either the Honda or Toyota would be for them to bring
their excellent diesel engines to the US. I'd be right there at the
dealership with a check for a deposit if they did.

Can't help you on the roadster question, however.

Have fun shopping!

Adam