Subject: [Leica] OT Panel advises against prostate cancer screening - Yahoo! News
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:41:09 +0200

Le 7 oct. 11 ? 21:42, Steve Barbour a ?crit :

> On Oct 7, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Charlie Chan wrote:
>
>> If I may, I might interject, as my day job is as a cancer surgeon,
>> treating breast cancer and melanoma.
>>
>> The problem is to do with the balance of benefit v risk. Screening
>> healthy people is very different to treating people with symptoms.
>> One day, healthy people are walking down the street, the next they
>> are facing a life threatening diagnosis and all that entails.
>> Biopsies, surgery with possible complications etc. Problem with
>> prostate cancer is that not all prostate cancers are the same. Some
>> people will get an more aggressive form, but many people will have
>> a more indolent version of the disease, which doesn?t kill them.
>>
>> Like all screening tests, there will be ?false positives? ie
>> positive test results (eg PSA blood test) in people who don?t have
>> cancer, as well as ?false negative? tests - ie a normal PSA in
>> someone with cancer (very unusual in prostate cancer). The false
>> positive group is the real issue in screening as we can potentially
>> do harm to healthy people who don?t have cancer. Even in people who
>> do have cancer, not all of them will develop the aggressive type
>> that becomes non-responsive to hormone drugs. A radical
>> prostatectomy has its problems including urinary incontinence and
>> inability to have erections. Sure, you would trade that if you had
>> the aggressive prostate cancer type, but maybe not if you had the
>> indolent version. Difficult thing is that we can?t tell which
>> person has which type yet.
>>
>> So, it?s not easy. Even breast screening with mammography is not as
>> straight forward as it seems. There are many who think (probably
>> correctly) that the benefits are far less than that which is
>> trumpeted to the public.
>

> thanks very much Charlie, I totally agree...a delicate balance of
> benefit-risk, and a dilemma that for the moment is settled by the
> current recomendation.

I read the whole thing on two levels:
mass detection -> cost for the health system, potential waste, profit
for insurance companies and doctors alike, against benefits for the
population, etc.
individual detection -> marginal risk, yet risk all the same hence a
tough decision for it is unclear what or whom is to be trusted.
Better be a woman is that case again ;-)

Ph