Subject: [Leica] RIP the movie camera
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 08:36:50 +0800

> Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:28:37 -0500
> From: Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Leica] RIP the movie camera
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>
> <http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/r_i_p_the_movie_camera_1888_2011/singleton/>
> *sigh*
>

> http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/r_i_p_the_movie_camera_1888_2011/singleton/
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Sonny
> http://sonc.com/look/
> Natchitoches, Louisiana
>
> USA

I saw "The Help" in Hong Kong last week - in a digital theater. It was my
second viewing of a digitally projected movie in a theater - the first was
"The Long Goodbye" several years ago at a special screening set up by Time
Warner for the Hong Kong film festival. In each case I was impressed with
the steadiness of the image and the lack of dust projected on the screen.
Obviously digital projection is the wave of the future. I used both Bolex
H16 and H8 cameras in the 1960's and 70's and a good friend still has my old
Bolex H8. When I visit sometimes we take it out and wind it up and listen to
the click and whir of the clockwork mechanism and smell the leather and the
lubricating oil.  I even got an honourable mention one year at the Toronto
film festival in the amateur division for a film about cabbage in China.
Those were the days. I have a box full of cameras - fuji and bauer - at the
cabin which will never turn again. Thanks for the link, Sonny, and the
memories.
Howard

Replies: Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] RIP the movie camera)