Subject: [Leica] M9 -> M9P
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 04:53:49 -0400

I just make my own black dots. Or white dots. Or whatever. My favorite
is the Yashica Electro logo which looks like an atom and, when cut
carefully from the emblem of a broken Electro CC, GSN or GTN, fits
perfectly in the space where the red dot usually goes.
I'm currently looking for a broken Kodak Signet so I can show the real
true colors of the Leica M9, 'cause we all know it's a Kodak inside.  ;)

You can easily scrub away the red paint on the dot with a stiff brush
after soaking the dot in some denatured alcohol or maybe acetone. On
the back of it is just a tiny piece of double sided tape so that's
easily replaced.

For the real brave souls, it wouldn't be too hard to have the top plate
removed, paint stripped then have a brass plug soldered in place of the
big triangular hole under the dot. This plate could be drilled and
tapped for a tiny screw to cover the adjustment hole. If you were going
that far, some bronze solder could fill in the "M9" engraving on the
front of the camera easily. After that, paint it pink or whatever other
color suits your fancy. Realistically, that's less than $300 worth in
work by a skilled machinist (the soldering, not the painting.)

The fact that Leica is saving a very tiny amount of money by not
machining that triangular adjustment hole nor engraving "M9" in the
front and then charging people an extra $2000 is proof positive there's
one born every minute. Of course, if I had the cash to burn, I'd love
one. Then again, if I had that extra cash to burn, I'd buy myself an
early to mid-80's Toyota Corolla to use as a carrying case for the
camera and take a long road trip.

Phil Forrest