Subject: [Leica] Canon 1D X -- the real marker to the end of the mega-pixel wars?
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:00:16 -0700
References: <506FA546-28CA-45F3-AD85-D2E9F47A781E@mac.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E913334145@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CA+yJO1At4iUBL+vjXaSbd1P0xuubJsboTbWma7kSSXk-kQjkow@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-GkCqThdFneF3ncnWhMCxNAi-tD3BU3PsVgtEaUwpMnaQ@mail.gmail.com> <40BBBB21-52C0-47CE-BA2B-8021493A6A2D@mac.com> <1318974263.71324.YahooMailNeo@web39301.mail.mud.yahoo.com> <CA+yJO1D65Wdm--qbyYij48etLvsmv5OUeH8TCw9MtYFx5a0cYg@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-HepCDUfuKg3qAj5EB6yvEkrkOFAVwP+3ALgVK1pWqA=w@mail.gmail.com> <CAAsXt4P6T8=+wjRGukMH+orF7oB9PSipGjJXB14DfeB-O7D=KQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ1w0HrmjbtPuB8okiZ_yCt=+Pe07fzKc9D4kX2q8m6S5A@mail.gmail.com>

Thanks for thinking of me Jayanand!

I actually have a Linhoff Technikarden S with an adapter for my MF back. I
used it once in Yosemite to get this shot:
http://rgaphoto.com/2011Yosemite/content/El_Capitan_4x5_Crop_large.html

Unfortuntely, when enlarged, there is NOTHING sharp in the image. I think I
was shooting at f/32 before I knew how badly/quickly defraction occurs at
larger f-stops with MF backs. Pretty much anything over f/8 or f/11 starts
to degrade pretty rapidly from my experience. There is also the problem of
focus, though with wider angle lenses this is less of an issue.

Perhaps I'll give it another try sometime; I like the dimensionality of it.

I'm not sure you would get the same fidelity from stitched 35mm sensors as
you get from stitched MF back sensors; the pixels are just so different in
their capabilities. Engineers know better, but I think the bigger the pixel,
the more information you get that directly translates into the fidelity of
your image. By fidelity I trying to describe a depth and breadth of tonal
range.

But it would be interesting to see what can be done with this rig!
Best,
Bob

--
Bob Adler