Subject: [Leica] What's with all these... FLOWERS
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:26:05 -0500

On Oct 22, 2011, at 11:18 PM, Richard Man wrote:

> Hee hee, to you and to Uncle Ted, I am not doubting the value of flowers
> for
> some people, and I have no issue deleting the mail (actually, I just don't
> open ones that I don't find interesting).

I'm puzzled as to how you discover "don't find interesting"
if you don't open them.

> The point really is that flowers are a bit of the "crutch" photos, a bit
> like two Leica folks get together and all we see are pictures of them
> taking
> photos of each other across the table :-)

IMO absolutely any and every subject presents a challenge
for the photographer to discover a personal point of view;
and deliver something worth a look.

Personally, I don't find seed catalog flower photos interesting;
unless I'm buying seeds.

Yet I do find these photographically and aesthetically interesting:
<http://www.mapplethorpe.org/portfolios/flowers/>
<http://www.photoliaison.com/imogen_cunningham/Imogen_Cunningham.htm>

for me - flowers provide many and deep lessons on the subjects of
line, sculptural form, color, composition, life and death

the idea that any particular subject falls into the realm of "crutch"
photography
implies, for me, a lack of probing into that particular subject.

Even when Leica folks get together and point cameras at each other
provides an opportunity to create powerful portraits, decisive and
compelling moments,
or
yeah - boring, banal "i was here with these folks" snapshots.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com