Subject: [Leica] How low does pigment go?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:17:02 -0400

As I have just gotten this month about 4 new carts for my 3800 your
suggestion to just upgrade to the 3880 makes extra sense for me as I'm in a
sense getting 200 dollars off using those carts as needed. Its just that's
not going to happen its too much money for a big thing which I don't really
need nor can afford nor can put in a bus or cab with me to get fixed should
it need be.
I'm inspired by the show I just saw and is still up at the NY Leica gallery
of flowers black and white and full color:
- Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe "A Flower is a Lovesome Thing / Notables of Note"
In which her large prints were I think 13 by 19's and many were smaller and
it was all looking fine.
My past shows were 16x20 darkroom prints and I was seeing less and less
shows done with 11x14's. So I was happy about getting that 3800.
Now in an interim phase I do think a 13 inch printer for half the money and
more compact might do me well.
If I get lucky ands some gallery is scaled to large prints I'll then move up
to a 17 inch printer I can see that happening in a year or two.

Hoppy and others do you think an R3000 would be a step down quality wise
from the 3880? I'm guessing no as I continue to look into it.

In the mean while I'm looking at infusing my portfolios  with small prints
made with a dye based printer. On rag paper as usual which they make for
them. I suppose using such printers I'd be smart to do less black and white
and more color.
I carry around 5x7's in my Domke satchel where ever I go for years now.
They are great for showing people a few of your prints on a bus or
restaurant and seem impressive without looking like an overly big deal. And
I can afford better better which I like.

Id run so many nozzle checks in the past few years that I've must have blown
hundreds of dollars worth of pigment into my maintain ace carts. That's what
happens with a less than happy printer.

A printer that size to bring in to get tweaked or CLA'd by a maintenance
place is quite a production.
I think a 13 inch printer I could carry on the bus.

13 x19s are more like 16x20's run through the dryer than bionic 11x14's.
I'm happy about them. I already have a portfolio with that sized prints in
it.

Thanks for looking

--
Mark R.