Subject: [Leica] How low does pigment go?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 02:03:50 -0400

"Appropriately" for WHAT is the center of the issue and someone who's
showing their prints to a gallery owner or having a show in that gallery is
not going to go to Costco to have their prints done. The very idea of it is
comical. Its like a one liner.
Yes the way many people print on their printers now rivals machine prints
with the profiles.
Digital does change a few things.
I was at Calumet this week and a guy was showing his prints off this laptop
to the head guy they have a large gallery upstairs. It looked like he'd
gotten the show and the basis of his jpegs on his laptop and was being
explained the details of publicity and so on.
The whole ideal of "craft" or how good a printer he might be was in the
equation. That's because we're all using the same profiles and
Spiders I guess.
I think there are a few people out there who just like they'd done in the
darkroom go back and forth with their prints critically not already working
on the next one before the previous one is out of the machine.
I used to take more responsibly for Xerox copies than people do now with
their inkjets.
There was a "sharpness" button on the schools Xerox. You had to decide if
you were going to press it or not.  And it made a big difference and you'd
not want to press it if it didn't need it.
--
Mark R.