Subject: [Leica] Sunset in Yosemite NOW with link
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:25:51 -0800

Thanks for the comment, Richard.  I appreciate the input.  Actually, in real
life the reflection is often much better than the source.  I think the two
photos are on slightly opposite sides of what I remember real life to be.
The main problem is not the reflection or the object, but the details in the
shadows of the trees.  This is where the main difference is.  My mind
remembers more detail and color than I can see in the non HDR version, but
less detail and color than in the HDR version.  Maybe I'll try only the two
extreme exposures and make the HDR from that, so it does not have as much
information to work on in the shadows.  One thing I do not want is for it to
look too artificial, like most of the HDR stuff I see in magazines or on the
web.  And maybe it looks too artificial because it is not what we are use to
seeing from a photo in the past.  In the past it was very difficult if not
impossible to capture the full range of light that the eye saw, so we
accepted the compromises we ended up as "natural"

Aram