Subject: [Leica] Sunset in Yosemite NOW with link
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:01:01 -0800

I guess I should read all my digest before replying.  Would save typing. :-)

I do like exploring this question.  How much of what I saw is part of what I
want to convey about how I felt?  The only objective references I have is
the raw photos on my screen.  Here is one of them:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/fall11/YO/Half+dome-8030-2.jpg.html

It was taken at -2/3 EV and is in the middle of a series of photos I used to
do the HDR.

Here is that same photo with a bit of manipulation, including the lightroom
split ND filter and some fill light.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/fall11/YO/Half+dome-8030.jpg.html

It is more to what I remember, but not quite there.  That is why I tried the
HDR, but to me it is a bit too much beyond what I remember, but the above
photo is too dull from what I remember.  How much of what I remember is
influenced by the thrill of seeing this wonderful reflection with a few
clouds to boot I cannot say.  The more I look at the HDR version the less I
like it, and the more I look at the manipulated single frame the more I like
it.  As I said in a previous post, perhaps it is because traditionally the
single frame manipulation is more familiar to what we (I) expect a photo to
be able to show under such difficult lighting situations, so it looks more
"natural" than the HDR.  Maybe I am not skilled enough (No maybe about it)
to use the HDR software to achieve what I "saw".  I have used it before in
not so drastic situations and no one has guessed it was HDR until I told
them, so I know that subtlety can be achieved.  I really dislike most of the
HDR I see in magazines and on the web.  Some is way over the top, but maybe
the lesser ones are still influenced by what is familiar to me, which has
always been a poor, but believable representation of reality.

Thanks for all the comments.

Aram