Subject: [Leica] Kodak sold their digital division - what might it mean for Leica
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:42:09 -0500

Five years ago yes god forbid someone should make a color photograph.
Black and white only. That would be a big hit in 2012.

The thing to watch out for is Blackstone nosing big-time into Leica which
has happened
They have 111 billion dollars and a very intense reputation says  a rather
old Fortune magazine in my crowded dentists office today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone_Group
Me what I don't know about finance you could put in a large coffee table
book with duotones and an index in the back.
We hope the company stays under the control of our Dr. Andreas Kaufmann and
his gang and not Richard Gere feeding strawberries to a lovable hooker in
the bathtub.
I.e. leveraged buyout wises.

Me I'd love to be using my Leica M lenes full frame for quite a bit less
than seven grand as would one or two other non millionaire photographers
ditto on a Leica DSLR to competing against Canon/Nikon and win. The M should
also compete against Canon/Nikon and win.
I realize Leica gear may have to cost thousands instead of hundreds.
But tens of thousands just takes it out of the running for most
photographers who are not running a hedge fund on the side.

It would be great if Leica didn't have to pay the Magnum photographers to
use Leica gear. It should be like it used to be - the other way around.
The key may lie in the sensor. And how to get it. I think they can figure
out how to get it into the camera.  It might slide in better if they owned
the company.
I shoot at iso 6400 half the time. Its the new iso 800.
Its the new tri x I D76 1:1 only in color.

--
Mark R.