Subject: [Leica] IMG Two new ones
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:39:33 -0700

Thanks, Nathan and Jim.  I learned something from doing the cat
portrait. I had taken two shots and the one I discarded had the head
at a bad angle. But it also wasn't sharp. What I learned was that,
when shooting at 1/30, I should put the camera on "continuous" and
take three frames.

This reminds me of when I went paranoid sixty years ago. This was
during WWII when cameras were hard to find. I found a little Wirgin
(sp?) camera at Central Photo in Chicago. I took a bunch of
Kodachromes in a friends garden and proudly took the slides into the
lab where I worked. A colleague looked at the slides with a 20X
magnifier and pronounced: "Your camera's no good; these aren't sharp.
Then, as he got to the end of the box, he said: "Hey, this one's
sharp." Well, that last shot was taken as the sun was going down, and
I used a tripod. All the shots were taken at 1/100. This upset me so
much that for years after, I wouldn't take a hand-held shot at
exposures longer than 1/250.