Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yosemite critters
From: kingfisher at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:56:24 -0800

Ken

It was probably a timberwolf. As far as I know, they are the only ones
in North America that are reddish.

I've been going through my old job files, and there were a couple three
or so that involved wolves in captivity. Once, I was actually in a cage
with one, a very big alfa male prairie wolf. The guy who ran the place
(he knew a LOT about them) told me that I'd be ok as long as I didn't
let it see my eyes if I felt any fear. If you feel fear, your eyes
dilate, which is a signal to them that you are prey. The photographs
probably aren't worth posting. I haven't looked at them for a long time,
but the art director passed them over.

Leicas are handy, for one reason because you can keep one eye closed and
have the other behind the camera. That thing's bite was maybe 2/3 ton
psi, enough to break your leg. Needless to say, I walked out of the cage
with my camera still firmly planted in front of my face.

When I think back on all the risky stuff I did in my professional life,
I really have to wonder. Well, he did have a gun. But Why? Yikes, what a
life!