Subject: [Leica] IMG: Yosemite critters - Spooky??
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 07:07:46 +1000

Out of interest, here in Queensland  we have a World Heritage listed large
sand island called Fraser Island, It is home to about 100-200 dingos. I
guess they are around coyote size, at least they would lose any argument
with wolves! It is a pool of more genetically pure animals being more
isolated from interbreeding with domestic/feral dogs. The area is popular
with four wheel drivers, fishermen, campers and backpackers which outnumber
the locals. Despite policy and warnings inevitably the dingos have learnt
that the visitors can be a source of food (scraps, rubbish etc not the
backpackers). There have been some attacks over the last few years and one
death that I am aware of. Those inevitably lead to some culling where
problem individuals are identified. That could usefully be extended as
removal from the environment of people who willfully feed or provoke the
animals for photo opportunities.
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/fraser/fraser-island-dingoes.html

Cheers
Geoff