Subject: [Leica] Sharecropper's house
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:44:19 -0700

Jim Nichols wrote:
Nice shot, Phil.  I suspect that this one has a post-WWII influence, since I
see cement blocks that were not available in Mississippi until the 1940s.

Good point Jim.  OTOH it looks like the block might have been placed to
shore up a decaying (older) structure.  Sharecropping pretty much died out
in the 40s so if you are right that's probably not a true sharecropper's
cabin.  My recollection is of a small farm plot worked by the Callicotts,
but there's no telling when the house was built, or how it might have
served an earlier tenant.  Callicott was born in 1900, so he would have
been no stranger to sharecropping in any event.  He passed not long after
we were there (according to wiki).

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE