Subject: [Leica] Casual tripod?
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:24:55 -0600

There is nothing that give you more confidence than a decent set of
sticks.

My beater set is a small Gitzo with a Really Right Stuff ball head with
clamp.  I have the corresponding M8 baseplate with built-in mating clamp
from Really Right Stuff.  The whole kit cost lots less than any one of my
Leica lenses.

I also have a Berlebach wooden tripod with a Manfrotto three way head.  I
don't use it too much, but when that sucker is set up, I look official.   I
wish I had a slightly more portable wooden tripod, but it actually weighs
about the same as a tilt-all with head.  Just more bulky.

When I was 16, I had my camera set up on a cheap tripod.  The forward leg
collapsed while I was posing this really cute girl, and smashed my lens.
That was the end of the photo shoot, and I had reacted so dramatically to
my busted gear, I think she figured me for such a photo geek that that was
the end of anything else too.

Moral:  Don't always use a tripod, but when you do, make sure it is a
secure one.  Practice safe support, always.

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://sonc.com/look/