Subject: [Leica] Roadside memorial cross
From: j2m46 at hotmail.fr (Jean-Michel Mertz)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:11:12 +0100

Once in while I come across such roadside memorials, usually a plain cross
stuck there to mark the place where a beloved one passed away in an
accident, well, this is what is generally assumed. There's a lot to say
about the toll driving (cars, mainly) has taken over the years - sometimes
many more victims than the wars or disasters our media are eager to cover.
In France alone the figure would be a minimum of 40 - 50 000 people over ten
years, but that number is dramatically decreasing, at last, thanks to active
government action. Chris, you're pointing out an aspect of our daily life we
want to forget because this can happen to any of us.
Jean-Michel