Subject: [Leica] Finally! My Iraq photo book is done
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 16:13:52 -0500

Philippe,
Thank you very much for your kind words.
My professor who sponsored this as an independent study kept pushing me
hard but that is the reason I chose him specifically to advise me. He
was a Marine decades ago and knows a bit about where this work is
coming from. He had me change formats a few times while I wanted to
change content. He made me realize that I can only polish the work so
much and if it has taken six years for me to move on this then I should
"close the book" on this first work because I'm my worst critic and I
could put out a thousand permutations with different themes but I had
to choose just one.

It's not rushed but as a consequence of combat itself, there is a
feeling of unfinished business with it. This journey through my
military past was a good one with a few revelations that have calmed me
and helped me to accept who I am and the place photography fits in my
future. It's a good feeling to be done. As it comes at the time when
our forces are pulling out of Iraq officially, it helps to put a close
to my war.

Hopefully we can leave the other theaters that our military forces are
serving very soon. It's interesting because all militaries the world
over, throughout history have always fought for peace. The contention
was whose side would win.

I digress.

Again, many thanks Philippe and the rest of the LUG for your great
comments and critiques.

Phil Forrest