Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Friday: Food
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 09:37:41 -0600

On Dec 16, 2011, at 7:15 PM, Sonny Carter wrote:

> You need me along to help with the aftermath of this shoot, especially
> since you refrain from eating these subjects.  I would work cheaply as your
> assistant.   But then, I suppose the spritz of glycerine on the salmon is
> not too tasty. ;-(   Beautiful work.
>
> When I did the commercials for Dixie Brewing in New Orleans, I always had
> volunteers to assist; that is until they found out that hot beer
> photographs better than cold.
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 4:56 PM, George Lottermoser <imagist3 at
> mac.com>wrote:
>
>> m-m-m good
>>
>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=5920>

I do (and did) eat the fish - and it did taste wonderful - perfect really.

While I had the spritzers (both water and glycerine), brushes, tweezers,
small propane torch, et al;
I didn't need to use any of them.

Had so many shots to do (half dozen interiors as well as 8 food shots)
WHILE THE PLACE WAS OPEN AND SERVING ;~(
that the only way it could be accomplished was to construct the set and
lighting in a corner
and shoot the food "right out of the kitchen."
10 - 12 minutes per shot - compose, minor lighting adjustments as required,
a slight variation or two,
NEXT!
The food shots depended on designing the lighting to WORK
with whatever came out of the kitchen;
as well as on the kitchen getting the styling "right."
(and no food stylist on the set)

Generally the glycerine and all really becomes necessary
when working with a stylist who takes a lot of time arranging things,
and rearranging things, and? and?
- that's when the food starts "drying out" etc.

Luckily we weren't working with chilled beer glasses
and trying to get those perfect condensation drops and foam with hot beer;
and lighting the glass from underneath, with a hole in the table, to get the
color of the bear.
Been there. Done that.

Perfect ice cream also provides ridiculous challenges.

One of the my most memorable food shoots
involved using a hypodermic syringe
to make hundreds of raisins and prunes look "perfect;"
too many wrinkles = too dry, too few wrinkles = too juicy.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com