Subject: [Leica] M3 with Summarit 1.5/50mm
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 17:38:08 -0500

I have the original M6, bought used, and it performs very well for me.
However, my 135mm Elmar was easier to use on the original (DS) M3 it came
with which I sold in a  "weak moment".  The larger VF magnification is
definitely a plus for the long lenses.
Perhaps the ultimate compromise would be a 0.85 magnification M6 TTL. I
like the larger shutter speed ring and I would occasionally would actually
use the TTL flash function.
 I have also always liked the features (placement of shutter speed dial,
selftimer...) of the M5, though not its larger size and strap lugs.
Jan

================================
From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3 at uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 with Summarit 1.5/50mm
=====On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr at gmail.com>wrote:
>My M3 was not a camera to love.  I hated the loading, so I got the fast
>load kit, I hated the double stroke, so I had Ken Ruth convert it to single
>stroke.  While a handsome camera, I never loved it.
>To me,  the classic M6 is the best replaceable sensor camera ever made by
>Leica.

As George says, YMMV.  I love the M3.  I've used M2R, M3 DS and SS, and
M4-2, but I keep coming back to the M3, mostly for the high mag finder.
 And I used to have MUCH more trouble loading the M4-2 than I ever did with
the separate spool.  I think the fast load kit was the worst of all three
systems.  I wish there was an M3 with built-in meter; I handled an M6 at a
store once, and it felt cheap compared to the M3 and M2 (plus it had the
too-wide VF).
Alan

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] M3 with Summarit 1.5/50mm)