Subject: [Leica] iPad resolution [Was: Replying from iPad]
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 23:13:37 -0500

Sorry I implied you were a member of Nathan's extended family! I'd have
thought you'd be pleased.... :-)

However I do agree with your assessment of the iPad as a great device for
the display of photographs and the presentation of a portfolio. And when it
gets the "Retina" screen, it will be nothing short of fabulous. Have you
seen the Retina screen of the iPhone 4? It's just unbelievable: 326
pixels/inch or 12.8/mm. This is so fine that even when I take my glasses off
and look at the screen as close as I can focus (about 6"?I'm extremely
nearsighted), I still cannot see the pixels, and can only get a hint of the
pixelation when examining a shallow-angled edge. Without exaggeration, the
appearance of the screen is as sharp as any photographic prints you'll ever
see, which arguably rarely benefit from resolution greater than about 200
dpi, and then only if the print is no more than the equivalent of about a
10x enlargement of the original sensor size. iPads look good already with
132 ppi, and I can hardly wait to see how they look with the new screen,
even if as rumor has it they'll have a resolution of "only" twice the
original, or 264 ppi?still at about the useful limit of a print.

?howard

Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Replying from iPad)
Message from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Replying from iPad)
Message from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Replying from iPad)