Subject: [Leica] IMG: Breakfast Beans
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:46:13 +1030

This is a great photo, as always, Tina.

Beans actually contain many and high concentrations of
anti-nutritional factors and toxins including:
- Protease inhibitors, which inhibit the activity of trypsin,
chemotropism and other proteases. Their presence results in impaired
growth and poor food utilization.
 - Amylase inhibitors inhibit amylases. Amylases are important in
breaking down the structure of carbohydrates; they hydrolyze sugar and
starches. Amylase inhibitors diminish digestion and uptake of
carbohydrates.
- Lectins or humagglutinins - glycoproteins mainly found in legumes:
beans, peas, lentils, which result in poor food utilization and
impaired growth.
- Saponins, which are directly toxic.
- Cyanogens, which are also directly toxic.
Beano works because it supplements your own enzymes that are inhibited
by the beans, in addition to providing enzymes you do not produce,
which allows you to digest components in the beans that are otherwise
indigestible.  In people who have diets that are reliant on beans,
their gastro-intestinal system adapts to the presence of toxins and
indigestible components, and they have different bacterial
communities, all of which decreases the gas we might get when going to
an all-bean diet, but those people do not miraculously extract more
nutrients or evergy from them than we can.  They often show signs of
serious amino acid, trace element and other deficiency disorders.  In
African comunities that I visited, where a low-intensity fish farm was
installed, the addition of a couple of hundred grams of animal protein
a week increased the life expectancy by over a decade for the normal
population and 3.5 years for untreated HIV-positive people.

Correlation between bean consumption and length of life in some parts
of the world has been shown to be confounded by the starvation effect,
where lengthy periods of survival on _just adequate_ or slightly
below-requirement energy intake increases longevity.

I like beans, and eat them sparingly, but they are only okay in terms
of nutrients and energy output.  To bring this on topic, I even grow
beans, and photograph them with my Leica:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/75+Summilux/borlotti+beans.jpg.html

End bean rant.

Marty