Subject: [Leica] Looking at buying an M8
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 00:20:13 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 Ken Carney <kcarney1 at cox.net>

>My Canon 5D MkII has a huge variety of options, most n/a for me.   The only
>place where Canon screwed up is the mode change
>wheel on the left top of the camera - if you grab it out of the camera case
>you can accidentally change from AV to manual or something, >but some
>gaffer tape takes care of that.
===================================================================================================
What drives me crazy is that Canon doesn't provide a custom function to
allow the front dial to control f/stops in manual mode.  It seems
counter-intuitive to have the f/stop control on the BACK of the camera, near
the shutter, and the shutter speed control on the FRONT, near the lens.
Arghhh!  I'm always changing speeds when I want to use another aperture.
Another gripe is that they keep moving the buttons and their functions.  I
use three different models of Canon DSLR's and each one has different
configurations, so again I waste time either trying to remember what a
control does, or correcting a mistake in settings.  But strangely, I've
never had a problem with the mode dial.

The Leica M, film or digital, is the camera for me.  Only the essentials.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu